Monday, February 1, 2010

Sun protection while you're running....

Happy Monday!

Hi all!  Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!  I wanted to give you some insider info about protecting your beautiful face while you run.  This past week I met a woman who works at a dermatologist's office and she had some awesome information in regards to keeping your face wrinkle-free (especially if you run outside everyday)!

Basically what she shared with me is that runners tend to get lots of wrinkles and visible sun damage very early in life because they aren't always taking the correct precautions when they go running outdoors.  Here is some of the information she gave me:

1) Just because you aren't going to lay by the pool or play in the sun doesn't mean you don't need to wear SPF.  Technically speaking here, we should be wearing this EVERYDAY (I know, I'm an offender too, I hardly ever wear it) if we want to prevent wrinkles and keep our skin healthy.  An SPF of at least 15 everyday.  She recommended Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF to protect your face without clogging pores.

















2) Take preventative measures (aside from SPF) to prevent aging.  Well, let's just say you already have some fine lines and wrinkles.  Or let's just say you don't have any (lucky!).  Regardless, you should be taking measure to not only keep your skin aestetically pleasing, but also keep it HEALTHY!  Being outside in the environment can take a toll on your skin (even if you're getting a heart pumping workout while you're out there!).  She mentioned SkinCeuticals C-E-Ferulic Serum to help maintain a youthful glow!




















3) DRINK WATER! I'm a huge offender here.  I need to drink more of it.  You probably do too.  So start slugging "everytime you're thirsty."  There's been a lot of speculation as to the proper amount of water to drink everyday... 8 glasses? Some special equation of body weight and height? What's too much?  What's too little?  She said just drink water whenever you are thirsty and avoid pop, alcohol, and anything BUT water like the plague. Save them for special occasions and focus on hydrating your body with WATER!




Anyways, I just wanted to pass that info along for anyone who is skin-obsessed (me) and also spends a significant amount of time outdoors (running or otherwise... me).  By no means am I a doctor and any questions in regards to skin health should be directed to a medical expert (not me, even though I pretend to be).  If any of you are local in Wisco, message me and I can forward you this dermo's info (great office for medical needs, but also has a great anti-aging clinic within the practice).

Have a great day and take care of your skin while running in the sun!

xo, c

2 comments:

  1. I'm also bad about drinking enough water, it was actually a NYR of mine to drink more, here is how I do it:

    I have a 2 ltr bottle, everymorning I feel it up and make sure it is empty before I go to bed. Keeps me accountable, and helps me stay hydrated during the day, I don't even miss all the diet coke I used to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am horrible about this! And I think that two liter bottle is a great idea. I will try it! -c

    ReplyDelete