Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cross Training

Many race training programs last weeks, even months. If your training plan only calls for running, think again.

Not only will you get bored with just running, you are neglecting all of the other muscles you are not using during a run. During my last training program, I often cross training by watching the people on the Biggest Loser work out. Not a good idea.

I think it is important to pick an activity you enjoy, so it takes away some of the "I MUST to do this" feelings

So, on your cross training day do anything that gets that hot bod of yours off the couch and moving and have fun. Here are some ideas:

1. Swimming - Sleeping Giant gave this a try, he was passed by elderly women and small children but said he felt great after

2. Skiing - If you are lucky enough to live close to skiing access, great lower body workout (upper body for me as well...don't ask there were trees involved)

3. Bike riding - takes the stress off those knees
4. Hiking - An activity I really enjoy, I cannot wait for the weather to warm up and the snow to melt

5. ???? Name your own activity, just make it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment