Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Follow-up to Christine's Post

I think Christine makes a great point about the added benefits of running, or just taking a small step beyond your comfort zone. I know it is easier said than done, but once done, the feeling is amazing. Running has done this for both Christine and me.


Something else I feel strongly about is empowering young women and teaching them the rewards of challenging yourself. I happen to think that getting involved in running is a great way to teach young women about self confidence and setting personal goals. I'm not the only one who feels strongly about this, there is an organization, Girls On the Run, that feels this way as well.
In an effort to become more involved in my community, I checked to see if Girls on the Run had a local chapter. Indeed they do, and the same day I looked into this, happened to be the deadline for volunteer applications. I'm all signed up and attending the first coaches training session tomorrow.
I'm so excited to share my passion for something that has been such a positive experience in my life. Towards the end of training for "The Half", I was getting in a bit of a rut with running. So, I hope that as much as I inspire a new generation of running, I get some much needed inspiration from new runners.
To echo the sentiments of Christine's post, take a chance, do something you normally wouldn't do and push yourself and others to be GREAT!

Girls on the Run


LMG

No comments:

Post a Comment