Monday, March 29, 2010

Half Marathon Confessional

Bless me Father for I have sinned, it’s been about 800 years since my last confession. Ha! In training for the last half marathon, I told some white lies, TO MYSELF. I’m having flash backs off all those times as a kid I was supposed to be practicing piano or flute, but was watching TV. My parents or teachers would find out, because it was obvious from the quality of my performance.


Well the same thing happened with my running. Towards the end of the training program for the last half marathon, I would tell myself “oh that’s enough for today, I’ll make that run up later…” Well when that day finally arrived in mid January, I was so mad at myself for not being honest with my progress. While I am proud of the race Christine and I ran, I know it wasn’t the best I could do, if I had been more honest with myself I know I could have done better. So in training this time here are my 10 commandments:
1. I will not run at 0% incline if I MUST run indoors

2. No excuses for running indoors on days when weather is not an issue

3. I will not use cross training days as rest days

4. I will not consume 3,000 calories at the Olive Garden pre-race

5. I WILL NOT wear anything I have not run in prior to the race (please see Under Armor compression shorts purchased less than 24 hours before race day and the 3 inch by 3 inch area on my lower back that required a skin graft, well not really but almost)

6. I WILL warm up and stretch before the race, even if Christine makes fun of me

7. I will be responsible for charging and unplugging my own ipod pre race (if you want to hear about the day Sleep Giant almost lost his head ask Christine what happened)

8. I will eat a good breakfast before the race, not cookies

9. I will find stress free transportation to the race

10. I will clear the 4 days post race and plan on “chillaxin” as Sleeping Giant would say

No comments:

Post a Comment