Wednesday, November 18, 2009

1 week to 10k

In one week I'm off to sunny San Diego. I cannot wait. It will be a nice weekend to relax with my beau and his family and soak up some warm weather. Oh wait I forgot one little thing, the 10k. I think I am ready, well as ready as I am going to be. I'm sure I could have trained harder over the past couple of weeks. I'm counting on the motivational bloody Mary's Maui Jim is promising to have waiting at the finish line to compensate for any lack of training. We'll see!

For about 5 days I was able to get up and run in the morning. Well, that didn't really last. But, the good news is that I have still been getting my runs in, just back to running in the evenings. I don't get it! I feel awesome after a morning run. For the most part the house is quiet, and I'm not distracted. So, why can't I get my lazy butt out of bed and do it? I don't know. I may never know.

I did my long run on Monday evening (5 miles). After about 45 min my ipod said that I completed 8k. I'm thinking YEAH RIGHT! I know my endurance and speed are building, but come on! I did not have the treadmill mileage to compare to because mid run as I was shooing the dogs out of the room (they just sit there and stare at me with this look in their eyes, like why can't you take us for a run too?) I hit the key and stopped my workout and had to restart the treadmill. Anyway, i recalibrated my ipod and should be good to go for my last 7 days of training. I'm planning to mix up the program a bit so I properly taper for the race next Thursday as follows:
Wednesday: 2 miles
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: 3.12 miles
Saturday: Yoga/6 miles
Sunday: 4 miles
Monday: 3.12 miles
Tuesday: 2 miles
Wednesday: Rest and CARB LOAD! (just kidding, looking for an excuse to eat some awesome pasta in San Diego)
Thursday: Race day

I also want to talk about how much yoga as helped in my training, and how much I'm missing my regular Monday class now that I'm working on Monday's again and how this all ties into why I'm sleeping with my arms over my head...but I actually have to do some work! So, check back in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment