Sunday, October 18, 2009

Yoga for Runners

You'll notice I'm writing this blog at 2am. I am a major nightowl... this was never a problem until I had a child. Now I'm a morning owl too. Seriously I sleep like 5 hours a night and I know that's horrible for me, but today's post is about using yoga to help back pain and not about how I need more sleep. Ok so about 2 weeks ago, maybe one week ago.... not sure, its late, anyways, I digress. Two weeks ago I get this ridiculously weird and uncomfortable massage from this guy named Mike at Massage Envy. Now normally I am a big big fan of massage envy because I am a massive sucker for a good deal and massage envy will sell you a 55 minute rubdown for less than 40 dollars. That is what I call SAVINGS! Anyways, this was my first trip to this particular massage envy and it will be my last. I'm just going to make a really long story short here, this guy was a complete weirdo. I can't even compare him to a weird celebrity because not even Britney Spears on the nuttiest day of her life could give Mike a run for his money. His weirdness takes the cake. Weird voice, breath reeked of Doritos (nacho cheesier, if it matters), didn't use ANY massage oil (ok Mike, I get it, the economy is in rough shape, but you couldn't spare one measly tablespoon of that oil?!?!), I mean.... wow. It was quite the experience. Well the moral of the story is this: I learned my lesson that day with Mike. I can't depend on massages to ease my back and neck pain because sometimes I'll just leave still in pain and totally creeped out! I need to find some alternative solutions to the debilitating pain I live with everyday! So I did some online research (story of my life, the internet is my homegirl) and realized that I'm on the fast track ro a potential solution to my problem.... YOGA FOR RUNNERS. Over the years, I've experimented with yoga and pilates, but never seriously dedicated myself to either one. I did the yoga for runners workout from Runner's World two times in the last week and I feel like a new person. I linked you to it in the previous post, so you should do it. Right now. Like get out of bed this instant and go do yoga. I'm going to get out of bed and get a cookie :)

2 comments:

  1. Just a follow up to your post Christine. I have been doing yoga in a class setting once per week for about 4 months now. In addition to that, I also do some at home inbetween classes. I love it and my joints feel so much better after running. I would ease into it, like anything else your body needs to adjust. Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had such a bad experience with Massage Envy. I tried them 10 times and all 1 was terrible! I don't think you can rely on these people. They treat massage like fast food, but it's not that easy. Massage is a very personal profession and it needs to be treated that way to be a successful experience. I hope that you find a better source for your important massage work!

    ReplyDelete