Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Follow Up Re: The Courage to Start

Christine’s most recent post references a fantastic book, The Courage to Start by John Bingham. This is an excellent book for new runners as well as seasoned runners. I have read this book completely and in part several times. This book tells it like it is, lace up your shoes and go, one foot in front of the other. That’s exactly what I did when I started “running” to keep the stress of law school in check. Every day I would attempt to run from my house to my parent’s house and back(about 1 mile each way) until I could complete the run round trip. I used to worry about looking like a runner, and in the beginning when I couldn’t run the entire way; I would start running again if I saw a car or neighbor (hee hee). What I learned from that is you cannot get better at something (anything) unless you start doing it, when I first started I was so bad that I could not get any worse, so I had nothing to lose.

I think this is a great time to talk about another piece of training gear that I never run without, my Nike+ and Ipod. This is a fantastic product for people who like to see how they are progressing. The Nike+ allows you to track your runs, track calories burned, and challenge others with Nike+. I’m proud to say I have logged close to 1000 miles on my Nike+. My Dad, brother, boyfriend, sister-in-law, boyfriend’s mom and sister, and several other friends (including Christine) have helped keep me motivated by competing in several Nike+ challenges. If you have a Nike+ and would like to start a challenge, let me know, I’m ready! If you want more information about Nike+ visit www.nikeplus.com .

I’m looking forward to an easy 3 mile run tonight, I hope the rain stops. I am trying to sneak in as many outdoor runs as possible before the early SW CO winter takes hold.

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment