Monday, April 26, 2010

Listen to Your Body

Listen to your body:


Just about every exercise plan is followed by a disclaimer of some kind. I’m not opposed to these, they keep lawyers in jobs. However, until recently, I never gave much thought to their credence.

Yesterday Sleeping Giant and I were doing a pretty strenuous 7 mile trail run at about 7,000 feet. At about mile 4 after climbing a hill, my breathing became so labored and I was so afraid I wasn’t going to be able to catch my breath I almost had an anxiety attack. I was able to stop and relax and regain somewhat normal breathing for the last 3 miles.

After we returned home, I told Sleeping Giant how scared I was as that was happening. Sleeping Giant told me he was worried shortly into the run when my breathing was already labored. I’ll admit, I’m not in the best shape. However, I have completed a half marathon less than 6 months ago, I run regularly, and don’t smoke.

Normally when I run I have my Ipod on so loudly that I cannot hear my own breathing, not smart. After a trip to the Dr. (ok, WebMD), it appears some of the lung problems I had in the past (i.e. pneumonia twice, bronchitis, and asthma as a child), I may have developed adult asthma. This would also explain, according to WebMD, my previously unexplained fainting spells.
I am actually going to a real doctor to get this checked out, but this event was just an important reminder that running through injury or other ailment can be dangerous and should be taken seriously. I’d like to continue to enjoy running for many years to come, so I don’t want to neglect something now that may prevent that.

No comments:

Post a Comment