Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Go 'stine and les! WOOOO!

Hi Everyone!

Les and I are back from our blogging break and we are so excited to share our big news:

1) WE ARE ALIVE! Yessssss! We made it through all 13.1 miles!

2) We promised each other we would update this blog more often, so expect to hear from our crazy selves lots more! December got kinda busy with Christmas and everything... blah blah blah excuses!

3) Our next race is... wait for it, wait for it, wait for it... the San Diego Marathon in June! This is another event in the "Rock 'n Roll" series, so we're very excited to get our "special" medal for completing more than one RNR race and very excited to go to San Diego!

Since Leslie and I have known each other, we've always had THE BEST times traveling together. Well last summer marked the "10th anniversary" of fate and destiny colliding -- allowing the two funniest people in the world to meet and shortly thereafter become besties! So, in honor of the blessed event, we decided to take a trip to Vegas in June 2009. As many of you probably remember, the day before I left for the honeymoon suite at the Wynn, I got hit by a car on my bike (on my birthday, mind you!) and became very irritated that I would have to go to Vegas with road rash. Well, to make a long story short, the trip was awesome, road rash and all, and we decided that a yearly trip together would be a tradition that we would continue forever! So, this year, San Diego! Not only will we be going to sunny SD during the week of my birth, we'll also be running our second LONG race together in 2010! I can't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday!

Let me give you a short recap of what was the most painful couple hours of my life (please note, I've delivered a child w/o drugs, been in two very serious car accidents and visited the ER for every possible ailment imaginable... I know pain!) followed by the most painful several days of my life! I will say this though, even though this was extremely physically taxing, I don't know if I've ever felt anything quite this rewarding!

We couldn't have had a more PERFECT day to run! The race started at 8:30am with sunny skies and cool temps! If I had to guess, I'd say we started at about 55 degrees and finished at about 65 degrees. As I sit here and type this, I keep thinking to myself "Why did I ever get back on a plane to Milwaukee?! The frozen tundra, of all places!" Ahhh, I digress! So, the weather was perfect! The course? Close to perfect! Aside from some potholes and pebbles, most of the course was fairly flat and easy-to-navigate.

To be totally honest, and I think Les would agree with me... this was hard. However, by the end of the day, we were already planning our next race and how we wanted to train for it. So albeit quite challenging, there aren't any hard feelings towards the 13.1 and we are actually very excited to begin running again soon! Here are a few tips that I came up with for myself:

1) Complete at least half of weekly miles outside. You all know I'm a treadmill junkie... I gotta break this and start movin' where the sun shines! This is definitely doable considering spring is right around the corner. HA! Wait a second, that was Wisconsin just bitch-slapping me. Spring is not around the corner and the sun rarely shines here, but at least the temps will be warm enough for some outdoor sweating sessions within the next month or so!

2) Integrate regular hill-work into my training schedule. I know I make fun of my parents mercilessly in regards to the time I saw them doing sprints up the stairs on Lincoln Memorial Drive, but I think they might be on to something. Maybe next time I'll ask my Dad if I can tag along :)

3) Stay strong with this vegan thing. Every time I "cheat" on my vegan diet (anytime I know I'll be eating out a lot or there won't be many "vegan" choices) and totally overload on dairy, I get a cold and a massive headache. I'm no doctor, but I think I've cracked the code on this one. Bye bye cheese, chocolate and chicken wings... you will be missed :(

I also wanted to give a big shout-out and "thank you" to Leslie's awesome parents who let us stay at their beautiful home all weekend! It was such a great time and I look forward to hanging out with the German clan again soon! They also trekked all the way out to the race site to pick us up and get us home before we passed out! Thank you again for your kindness and hospitality!

Does anyone LOVE San Diego and want to give us some hotel recommendations? So far we love Coronado and the Four Seasons, but we are open to suggestions! Remember, 5 star, this is our anniversary! Gosh! Somewhere with a ridiculous spa and close to or directly on the beach! Leslie's boyfriend Bo is coming along with us, so there needs to be some cool stuff for him to do too! All suggestions are appreciated!

Well, on that note, I'm sleepy and my muscles are still achy... so I'm signing off! Hope everyone is having a great 2010 so far! I know mine is... ;)

xo, c

No comments:

Post a Comment