Friday, August 13, 2010

Things I wish I had known...

One of my very favorite blogs to read is called Summer is a Verb. I love reading her blog because she posts a lot about Hermes, summering on the beach, and she's hilarious. She pulls off the preppy/bohemian look effortlessly (bo-prep-ian?) and her blog is lighthearted and fun to read. Anyways, she recently wrote a post for her niece's 19th birthday (I think its her niece) about things she wished she had known when she was nineteen. It was fun to read, but also really endearing. So I'm copying her idea and making a little "Things I now know about running... and life in general."
  • If you ever decide to run a marathon (or any distance, for that matter!), tell everyone you know about it.  Its a great way to self-promote make sure you stick to your goal! One of my former managers used to say "you better be selling you, because chances are nobody else is..." and it's true! So in addition to encouraging others, we can't forget to advertise our own personal goals! 
"Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer." --Marcia Wieder
  • Help people who have helped you. This is not to say that we should only give to receive, or only give because we have been given to, but be mindful of the people who aren't in your corner. And get them out of your life!
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those be well-tried before you give them your confidence." --George Washington
  • If you aren't taking care of your skin and teeth, start today! I'm always thinking to myself, if only I hadn't lived in a tanning bed and only visited the dentist when my teeth were aching I had diligently taken care of my face back in the day... Take care of those chompers and use good products! No one forgets a beautiful face!
"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles." --George Eliot
  • Any sort of extreme physical challenge (marathon, century ride, etc) is going to be extremely tough! If there is anything I've learned from running races its that I cannot slack off. That behavior pretty much only leads to a hungover thirteen mile run through the hills of San Diego a big wake-up call! Train for the race knowing it will be a huge challenge!
"The virtue lies in the struggle, not in the prize." --Richard Monckton Milnes


And there you have it, my words of wisdom for the week. Thanks Summer is a Verb for inspiring this little post!


In other news, yesterday I went to the high school track to run... Uhhh apparently cheerleading practice has started. So I went to the gym instead. As much as I'd love to drag myself around a track in front of twenty-ish 95lb cheerleaders, I'll pass. No need to make them all jealous... ;)


Have a great day!


xo, c

No comments:

Post a Comment